The Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric surgery is the only proven long-term weight loss surgery solution for those who are obese or morbidly obese. However, the benefits of weight loss surgery go far beyond losing the weight itself. In fact, we consider the weight loss to be a very beneficial side effect of the true point of weight loss surgery procedures – disease resolution.
Obesity and excess weight in general can cause a host of medical issues including type-2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep apnea to name a few. Obesity has also been linked to other conditions including heart disease and certain forms of cancer. As a result, weight loss surgery has the potential for significant benefits, and for most patients who qualify, undergoing a surgical procedure to correct their obesity is far safer than living with obesity itself.
Some of the benefits of weight-loss surgery include:
- The resolution or improvement of obesity related diseases. Also call called co-morbidities, these are the conditions that cause the most problems and shorten life span in obese people.
- Weight loss surgery can also improve mobility, allowing the patent to move around and exercise. Some basic activities such as tying a shoe will now be possible again.
- Increase social opportunities. Obesity often causes a reticence to engage in social activities and many obese people tend to shy away from healthy social interactions. As they lose weight, bariatric surgery patients will tend to seek out social activities, including going on dates, going to parties and generally having more fun.
- Joint and bone pain may also be reduced as a lower body weight puts less strain on the joints throughout the body, allowing for less pain.
- Cost benefits. Obesity is an extremely costly disease in United States, with both the individual costs and the costs to society extremely high. In many cases, because of savings on medications, doctor visits, hospital visits and long-term care, a weight loss surgery patient will be able to pay for their surgery in cost savings alone.
No matter the benefits or the reasons for choosing weight loss surgery, it is important to remember that it is still a major surgical procedure and caution should be exercised before undergoing any surgical procedure. There are certainly risks that go along with these benefits and these risks must be understood fully. We hope that you will speak to our office to learn more about the risks of surgery and attend one of our free seminars offering more information on the weight loss surgery procedures, our program and the options that you will have going forward.