Choosing The Right Bariatric Surgeon
Deciding to undergo bariatric surgery is an important decision that requires plenty of thought and introspection. However, the hard decisions do not end there. There’s also the matter of choosing your surgeon. They are likely several bariatric practices in your area, which means that the choice may require some legwork. The time you spend doing your research is well worth it however, as you need to choose the surgeon that is best for you.
- You should feel comfortable with your surgeon and practice, so be sure to attend a seminar and see if you “click” with the staff. Most offer a free weight loss surgery seminar on a monthly basis. These seminars are very informative and can offer great insight into a practice
- Of course, you will want your surgeon to have plenty of experience in the specific procedure that you’re considering. Studies have shown that surgeries performed by an experienced surgeon, on average, result in far fewer complications.
- Bearing in mind that bariatric surgery is not only a surgical procedure, but an ongoing lifestyle change, you should evaluate the practice’s aftercare program. Regular support groups, a responsive office staff and prompt follow-up is key to success. If possible, even sit in on a support group.
- On a similar note, it is good practice to choose a surgeon that is located in the vicinity. Follow-up after bariatric surgery is more intense than many other surgical procedures and you’ll want easy access to your surgeon and support team.
- Recommendations are important. Try to speak to former patients and ask them about their experience.
The goal of choosing your surgeon is to find the best team for YOU. To do so, you’ll have to make the most of the research time you have and put faith in your decision and the practice you ultimately choose.